Wynn's Hotel is steeped in History - built in 1845, bombed during the 1916 rising and rebuilt in 1921 using mass concrete, the only building in Dublin to do so at this time.
Our close link with the Abbey Theatre and Miss Phoebe Wynn's, (the Proprietor at the time), connections with many famous literary figures from home and abroad ensured the Hotel was always a hub of activity and a central meeting place for many of the characters who tread the boards of The Abbey stage.
In 1913 one of the most memorable historical events took place in our Saints & Scholars lounge - The first meeting to establish 'The Irish Volunteer Force', chaired by Eoin Mac Neil, a Professor in UCD and attended by Padriag Pearse, The ORahilly,
Sean MacDiarmada, Eamonn Ceannt and Piaras Beaslai. The suggestion that MacNeil should take the lead in the establishment of 'The Irish Volunteer Force' is said to have been made by a Belfast Quaker, Bulmer Hobson. Hobson a political journalist working in Dublin, was the local head of the Irish Republican Brotherhood - a secret organisation whose aim was the establishment of an Irish Republic. Four of the group who attended this meeting died as a result of The 1916 Rising.
Within a few hours of the meeting being held in Wynn's, detectives from Dublin Castle called on the Manager of the Hotel to warn him not to allow further meetings of this kind - this warning seems to have been ignored as the committee met in Wynn's on a number of occasions to plan the public inauguration of the 'Irish Volunteers'.
Then on the 02nd April 1914 the inaugural public meeting of Cumann na mBan was held in Wynn's Hotel.
It was presided over by Agnes OFarrelly who was elected president.
The provisional executive unveiled at the meeting included;
Jennie Wyse Power, Nancy ORahilly, Agnes MacNeil, Mary Colum, Nurse McCoy, Margaret Dobbs, Louise Gavin Duffy
and Elizabeth Bloxham.
Wynn's Hotel is very proud to have been part of such memorable and historical events that have shaped our Country and to mark both of the events mentioned you will find 2 brass plaques hung in our Saints & Scholars Lounge.